We spend about a third of our lives sleeping under our duvets, so it’s important to keep them fresh, clean and comfortable.
Most of us will change our duvet covers on a regular basis, but it’s important to not forget about washing the duvet itself. These don’t need to be cleaned quite as often; every 6 months should be enough. The labels on many duvets suggest getting them cleaned professionally, however you can also do it yourself. Here are some helpful tips to help you freshen up your duvet!
1. Preparing your duvet. Remove the covers and check it for any holes. If necessary, you may want to sew up any holes to prevent the filling from coming out in the washing machine
2. Read the care labels carefully. The wash requirements will vary depending on the filling of your duvet. Duvets with synthetic fillings can use a normal spin setting, but duvets with feather or down fillings need to be washed on a gentle cycle using a detergent without enzymes
3. Check that your machine is big enough. Before squeezing your duvet into the washing machine check that it is going to have enough room to move around the drum. Our Revolution launderette has a washer with an 18kg drum that will accommodate large loads such as duvets and pillows. Read more
4. Use a mild detergent. Unless your duvet is badly stained, it is recommended that you use a mild detergent. If your duvet has noticeable stains, using a detergent with built-in stain remover shouldn’t do any damage to your duvet, but check the care label first
5. Repeat the rinse cycle. Before the spin begins, stop the machine and repeat the rinse cycle. As duvets are so big and absorbent, they can retain some detergent and soapy water. Repeating the rinse cycle should ensure that your duvet is completely clean
6. Drying your duvet. When it comes to drying your duvet; the quicker, the better. Leaving your duvet to line dry takes a long time and could result in your duvet growing mildew and mould, or smelling a little musty. Using a drier is the best option, or partially drying your duvet in the dryer and then allowing to air dry afterwards. If your home dryer isn’t large enough our Revolution launderette has a dryer with an 18kg drum that will accommodate your duvet. Read more
Remember, it’s important to not wash your duvet too often as this could cause your duvet to come apart. An easy reminder is to wash them when the seasons change and you’re switching between your light summer duvet and your heavier winter duvet.
Contact us today to install a Revolution on your premises. Click HERE